Well, it is Wednesday and classes started Monday. I've had almost no time to write! I love going back to school. Writing in my organizer, getting new notebooks and folders. I have so much hope in the beginning of the semester that I can get good grades and be a whole new person. Hopefully it can actually happen this time. There is just so much to do already and things are crazy, this year feels SO different from last year. But hopefully I can just stay grounded and focus on what's important.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
I am in love with New Buffalo, Michigan. I just came home from 2 lovely days there. It is such a paradise away from my hectic and stressful life. It may not exactly qualify as the seaside, since it's a lake not an ocean, but it is pretty close to perfection. Days like these give me a reason to live.
Friday, August 26, 2011
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Sometimes I have dreams about my sister. That we are talking, that she is not sick and that we are just hanging out like we used to do. I wish I would never wake up from these dreams. That's all I want--to laugh with her, just to be able to have a conversation with her. How did this become my life that such a simple dream can never be reality.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
People always say "everything happens for a reason" or "everything will be alright." I don't believe that this is true. Sometimes I think we have to make everything alright. You don't get into every situation because of fate or destiny. Sometime, things just HAPPEN. Life is learning to accept it and move past it. Nothing is going to just magically make a situation okay; it is up to us to accept what we cannot change and move on or change what we cannot accept. That is life.
Monday, August 15, 2011
This summer was my first summer doing a real job. It was great experience! But I learned mainly life lessons, not just things about the company. For anyone doing an internship or starting a job, I would suggest remembering some of these things.
1. Ask questions! About everything! People love to answer questions and more importantly, they like to know that you are interested.
2. Say hi to everyone. Smile at people that you don't know and talk to people in the hall/coffee room. That's how you will get to know them.
3. Be polite and smiley to everyone, not just the "hot shots" at the company. Befriending the maintenance workers and the people at the front desk is always good.
4. Do not just be interested in people's jobs. Ask about their personal life too.
5. Try to get to know everyone because you will be surprised at how many people you'll end up working with (this is a lesson I learned a little too late).
6. Never turn down an opportunity. If you're supposed to have lunch with friends, but your boss wants to get lunch with you, go with your boss. Your friends won't mind! They will know that it's an important experience.
7. Don't take anyone for granted.
8. Look professional. Work is not the place to be adventurous with dress. If you have any doubts about what you're wearing, you probably shouldn't wear it. Individuality is important, but in a professional setting, people will take notice if you stand out too much.
9. There are some topics of conversation that are never appropriate during work hours, no matter who you are with. Even if you are with your peers, save the gossip and "weekend" talk for after because you never know who could overhear you.
10. It is good to speak your mind, but be wary of being obnoxious.
11. Thank people often for the experience! It is always good to be gracious.
Lizzie McGuire was my favorite show as a kid, and now Hilary Duff is pregnant! I really do love Hilary Duff. I think she has remained classy and true to herself in a world where so many teen stars succumb to drugs and alcohol and become bad examples. I still miss Lizzie McGuire and LOVE when I find it on tv late at night! (or watch old episodes on youtube....)
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
You know you are reading a really good book when you feel the same emotions as the characters. Currently reading One Day by David Nicholls and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good read, even though I am almost done and it is terribly sad. Also, not sure how I feel about the fact that it is being made into a movie starring Anne Hathaway. Anyway, this book is really unlike anything I have ever read. Raw and emotional and really hits the nature of friendship.